5 Best Patio Cleaner Reviews
Patios are a great place to spend time outdoors, offering a relaxing spot to sit and enjoy your garden, whether grabbing a bite to eat with the kids or kicking back and unwinding with a book.
Yet our patios are often overlooked when it comes to garden maintenance, with many quietly gather algae, dirt, and grime over the seasons, not to mention all the mess that accumulates from people constantly walking over it.
This can ruin the appearance of the patio and make you want to spend less time there, which is why it’s always worth investing in a good patio cleaner.
While most people assume you need a powerful pressure washer to clean away all the dirt from a patio, a good cleaning solution can do the job for you just as easily. It’s very low maintenance, requiring a quick application of solution for it to work its magic, and then finish by rinsing it off.
Check out the guide below and some reviews of great patio cleaners to leave your outdoor area looking better than ever!
Patio Magic Patio Cleaner
- Kills Green Mould and Algae in 2-4 Days
- Suitable for Patios, Fencing, and Driveways
- No Scrubbing or Rinsing
This product from Patio Magic offers fantastic value for money, with a large liquid solution offering enough treatment for up to 85m2, so you can clean the patio several times over the next few years.
That said, it may not be needed after your first use, as the cleaning solution helps to kill off mould and algae for months at a time. This means you can reduce the solution after the first use as less will be needed, meaning you get even more bang for your buck.
It’s a great quality cleaner too that is simple to use. Just dilute with water, apply using a spray or watering can, then leave it do its thing! Results show in a few days, with all green mould, black mould and algae killed off in no time.
- Patio Magic! Liquid Concentrate Mould, Algae and Moss Killer can be used on hard...
- Patio Magic kills green mould in 2-4 days, and gently cleans the exposed...
- This biodegradable cleaner is suitable to treat your patios, fencing, driveways...
Wet & Forget - Moss Mould Lichen & Algae Remover
- Kills Lichen, Mould, Moss and Algae
- Covers 100-300m2
- No Scrubbing or Rinsing Needed
Wet & Forget is an amazing patio cleaner that is perfect for people that want a quick and easy way to clean their outdoor areas. It’s a versatile product suitable for various surfaces including patios, pathways, pavers, tarmac, wood, and more.
You get ample cleaner too, with just 5L offering 30L worth of cleaning solution, which is enough coverage for 100-300m2 depending on how weather worn the surface is.
Application couldn’t be easier. Simply dilute with water, apply with a watering can or spray gun, and leave it for a few days – no scrubbing or rinsing required! You can use it on virtually any weather worn surface outside, so it’s not exclusively for use on patios, with it being suitable for sheds, fencing, roofing, and outdoor furniture
- Non-caustic, Non-acidic, Contains no bleach, No shelf life and is Biodegradable,...
- Mix 1 part Wet & Forget with 5 parts water in a garden sprayer then 'Wet &...
- One 5L bottle makes 30L of product. Covers 100-300m2 depending on porosity of...
Ultima-plus XP XP Patio Cleaner
- Kills Green Mould, Algae, Lichen and Moss in 2-3 Days
- Covers 400m2
- Suitable for Patio, Decking, Fencing, Paths, and Driveways
The Ultimate Plus XP is a versatile cleaning product that can be used on various outdoor hard surfaces, including patios, driveways, paths, fences, decking, stone pavers, and much more.
You get plenty of cleaner too, with just 5L of Ultima Plus XP providing enough cleaning solution for 400m2. However, you don’t need to stick to the dilution ratio, as using less water will provide a more potent solution that kills growth even quicker!
So, you can use as much is needed for each area outside. Patios will need a strong solution and should be watered on using a can or spray. After this, leave it to set for a few days and watch all the growth slowly die off.
It provides lasting protection for several months after to prevent fast regrowth.
- Ultima-Plus XP is a max-strength moss killer that both wipes out moss and forms...
- You can use Ultima-Plus XP on your patio, paving, decking, tarmac, stonemasonry,...
- 100% safe: biodegradable. PH8. Non-caustic, no acid, no bleach and is totally...
Cementone Brick & Patio Cleaner
- Cleans Algae, Dirt, and Grime
- Suitable for Patios and Other Stone Materials
- May Require Scrubbing
If your patio and masonry are looking worse for wear then this brick and patio cleaner is a great solution. It’s stronger than most multi-purpose cleaners, so it’s best used on harder surfaces made from stone like bricks, pavers, and concrete.
An acid-based formula will cut through even the toughest growth, with all kinds of dirt, grime, and mould being killed off and removed with the cleaner. You may need to apply it with a stiff brush for problem areas, although the effort is well worth it for the final results.
The cleaner is especially effective at removing limescale, which is a tough stain to remove from outdoor stone tiles and similar materials, so it’s worth checking out if you’re dealing with lots of limescale.
Jarder Spray & Leave Cleaner
- Kills Green Mould, Moss, and Algae in 2-3 Days
- 5L Covers 240m2
- Spray and Leave
- Suitable for All Hard Surfaces
Jarder Spray & Leave is a very popular cleaner that is suitable for most outdoor hard surfaces, including patios, driveways, sheds, roofs, statues, plant pots, decking, fencing and more. It’s highly versatile and you get a lot of cleaner with a single bottle, with a single bottle providing enough cleaner for a 240m2 area.
As a spray and leave cleaner, it requires almost no effort, just soak the area with a diluted solution and leave it for a few days. Results appear in 2-3 days, with mould, moss, and algae dying off in no time.
Better still, the cleaner works long after its been applied, providing a protective barrier that prevents regrowth for up to six months at a time.
- ✓ CLEANS WITH NO EFFORT: Jarder Spray And Leave Kills All Green Mould Moss &...
- ✓ SUPER CONCENTRATE: One 5 Litre Bottle Of Jarder Spray & Leave Makes A...
- ✓ ALL HARD SURFACES: Perfect For Use On Patios, Decking, Fencing, Paths,...
Why Use a Patio Cleaner?
Patios need regular cleaning to maintain their appearance and condition. If left uncleaned for too long, dirt, algae, grime, and all kinds of unwanted mess will accumulate on the surface, making it look very unclean and ruining the aesthetic of your seating area.
A pressure washer can be used to thoroughly clean a patio, but these cost a lot of money and are quite intensive to use. Instead of using this, you can buy a quality patio cleaning solution and let it do all the hard work.
These low-cost cleaning solutions are applied directly to the surface area and left to soak for a while. After this, you simply leave the solution on the surface to kill off all the unwanted growth, with results appearing in a few days.
It’s one of the cheapest and simplest ways of maintaining your patio. They require almost no effort to clean your patio, leaving it looking as good as new after just a few hours.
How to Choose a Patio Cleaner
Bear in mind not all patio cleaning solutions are suitable for every surface material. Some feature powerful chemicals that can damage sensitive surfaces such as wood. For example, sodium hydroxide is a powerful ingredient that can damage certain surface areas, so always check that the cleaning solution is suitable for your patio surface.
How They Work
There are two common ways that patio cleaners work. The first involves applying the liquid, leaving it for a while, then rinse it off with the garden hose. The dirt and algae get rinsed off with the water, making it one of the easiest ways to clean the patio.
Scrubbing cleaners require more effort to clean the patio. They work much the same, being applied to the surface then left to soak for a while, with the main difference being you need to scrub the patio before rinsing it to loosen the dirt and grime.
Measure your patio so that you know its surface area, as you want to ensure you get enough cleaning solution. Cleaners are diluted so you should get plenty of mileage from a solution. For example, 5L of cleaning solution is enough to cover an area of approximately 400m2.
Most patios are much smaller than this, so a solution is likely to last you many uses. That or you can buy less cleaning solution and save more money.
How to Use a Patio Cleaner
- Step One – Mix Your Solution – You’ll want to combine the cleaning solution with water to dilute it. Ratios differ from each product, so make sure you read carefully and use the right solution to water ratio. This can be done with either a watering can or spray gun.
- Step Two – Apply to Patio – There are a few ways that you can apply the patio cleaner so check the instructions first to make sure you do it right. Most are simply watered onto the patio although some require you to work the liquid in with a hard bristle brush.
- Step Three – Wait for Results to ShowIt’s going to take several hours for the cleaner to work its magic, so you can just leave it to do its thing for however long it takes. Waiting times vary from each product, usually taking a couple of days for results to show.
This may be the final step depending on the product you buy. Most can be left on and will biodegrade natural, although you may still need to scrub or rinse the patio too.
Last update on 2021-04-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API